Co-production Week 2019

Co-production Week 2019

Thursday 25 June 2020

A Peer researcher – the Optimistic Position


By Laura Able, Peer Researcher

To take a coproductive approach to an evaluation about the Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) Coproduction Programme was clearly apt. On a personal level, I consolidated existing skills, earnt money, felt the feel good factor of working together and remain intrigued by the borders that lie between theory and practice.  The critical OCC challenge was whether the convoluted mechanisms of a large hierarchal structure can be adapted and/or radically change to facilitate coproduction.  I have definitely gained greater insight into how it works or not.  This is a non-cynical position.

As peer researchers we gave different ideas/viewpoints to the research design and grounded the process in the principles of equality, diversity, access and the sharing of power.  We maintained the focus on these key factors. Our employment indicated the priority of these values and we added complementary skills – Patrick provided a methodical overview with clarity whereas I gathered in-depth rich data.  What people said and how they said it is important. Our approach encouraged all and particularly service users/carers to be open and honest. 

Witnessing the tensions and frustrations of those involved at all levels was difficult, I was not in a position to offer advice even if I had it, regurgitating (in transcription) most of what I heard.

For me the coproduction process is about striving for the ideal of democratic citizenship and this was recognised throughout the evaluation through our mixed methodology and also the opinions of our research participants; but these were not static they oscillated depending on they were talking about.  The underpinning values, beliefs and understandings were not always developed due to factors such as restraints in time, resources and changes in staff in our research team and the OCC, because this is the real unpredictable world.  Essentially, for me, we have examples of inspirational change progressing positively in a fluctuating uncertain context.

I hope that this evaluation contributes to the growing body of evidence that validates the coproduction approach.  To be meaningful and have an impact there has to be accountable, identifiable outcomes that are attributable to this process. My bias is towards democratic principles and sticking true to the data. In the fullness of time, if the Council are brave enough to continue coproductively all their services will improve. It is not easy as so eloquently put by both the professionals and services users.  Why should it be?  

1 comment:


  1. BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 3DAYS It all depends on how fast 
    you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of
    hacking into any ATM machine, anywhere in the world. I got to know about 
    this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month 
    ago It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich and 
    I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about 
    $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every now and then I keeping pumping money 
    into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught 
    ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it 
    also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect 
    you. For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on :
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com Tell your 
    loved once too, and start to live large. That's the simple testimony of how 
    my life changed for good. Love you all . the email address again is
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete