Co-production Week 2019

Co-production Week 2019

Sunday 5 July 2020

A co-production legacy


Emma Clarke
By Emma Clarke, Director of Services and Grant-Giving, Weston Park Cancer Charity, Sheffield








I have a confession to make: I am not a blogger.  This is my first and may indeed be my last, but you’ve got to try everything once in life, right?  So why do I feel compelled to put pen to paper now? Well, I guess it’s not often one faces a global pandemic only shortly after losing your most trusted friend and mentor, so it feels timely, necessary, personal.



Maybe it’s the cathartic process of reflection and pondering I’m craving, or maybe it’s the recording for posterity the events I have been through, what I have seen and what I have learnt.  Or maybe it’s my way of re-connecting to Jeanne Carlin, a love letter if you will, to show her that all she taught me hasn’t gone to waste, that I listened, that I learnt, that she equipped me well and I am forever grateful. 

Jeanne died on the 31st of January and left a gaping hole in my life.  Over the past few months as, like many, my professional skills and personal resilience has been tested like never before, I have lost count of the times I have wished I could picked up the phone to her, to rest for a short while in her caring wisdom, to move forward better equipped and restored.  Instead I have captured moments – little vignettes – that I know she would have appreciated and I hope they offer you, dear reader, something too.

The world is full of gifts if only you look

We closed the door of our Cancer Support Centre on a Wednesday.  I could feel anxiety in the air as the team collected up equipment and resources to take home in readiness for working there for who knows how long.  This frisson of energy slowly dissipated as one by one I watched the team drive away, knowing their fears would be taken home and remain for some time to come.  It was at the end of that day that I picked up a call to our helpline and spoke to Peter.  His question was simple – how can I get my food shop next week as I am on chemo and my clinical team have told me not to go out of the house?  

Next week will be the 14th week I have shopped and delivered Peter’s groceries.  I could have easily delegated this to one of the team, freeing myself up for so-called strategic work that becomes the language that accompanies the title I now hold.  But I see it differently. Peter feels like a gift, our weekly chats have helped me see the world through eyes that matter; in a fast-paced environment they have helped me make decisions which feel right.  Jeanne always encouraged me to change my lens, to see the world through the eyes of others, to see human rights at a micro level.  To not get above my station. I did it without thinking. 


When things get tough, connection is your lifeline

It was over a cup of tea (hers: bag dunked for mere moments; mine: steeped until the spoon stands up) that we had the Twitter debate.  I remember telling her I couldn’t see the point, her telling me it enabled connection with her many networks across health and social care.  But it wasn’t only online where she cultivated the power of networks, it was over coffee, dinners, wine; she blended the professional and the personal to the point where the seam became invisible and the creation was all the better for it.  It’s funny how the tougher the days and weeks became during the early phase of COVID, the more time I made for my networks.  They informed me, they supported me, they linked me to others who could help, they showed me my feelings of doubt were natural.  They provided the fire cover when the bullets were raining down hard and fast.

Wear your own lived experience like you would the cape of a superhero

“So how are your family”? she would ask.  We’d talk about the ordinary ups and downs of family life, the joyous moments and the challenges we all face.  We’d exchange experiences of being family carers, the love, the frustrations, the tiredness.  It was only recently on the Leadership for Personalised Care programme that I saw what she had skillfully been doing all along, developing my courage to share my own lived experience, to talk without my voice shaking and to weave this more explicitly in to my professional thinking. 

So over recent months, as I have sat in the garden of my two shielding parents having conversations through an open window, I have married up the personal and the professional like never before.  How did my dad feel getting his shielding letter three weeks after everyone else? What does the word ‘vulnerable’ mean to them as people nowhere near 70? Not that 70 is by any means a definer! What freedoms and liberties do they miss the most? Who would they trust to provide help if me, their only child, was taken ill?  Jeanne taught me that these are the conversations that are happening in homes across the country and that listening to those closest would help make me a better decision-maker, a better leader.  Because my barometer would always be ‘is this good enough for the people I love?’

So what next? Well, as I pass the milestone of one year in the job, I am returning to first principles.  I (along with my rather amazing team) will be listening to – and sharing power with -  people with lived experience. As Co-Production week launches across the country, I am proud to announce a partnership with Co:Create and Viewpoint, two Sheffield-based social enterprises  sprung out of South Yorkshire Housing Association, which will steer us well for whatever the future holds.   

If you are living with or beyond cancer or caring for someone who is, and you would like share your views and experiences to design and decide how we use our resources and assets to make the most difference, then please get in touch emma@wpcancercharity.org.uk or @emilys_pine on Twitter.


When hugs were permitted, and boy are they missed 

4 comments:


  1. BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 3DAYS It all depends on how fast 
    you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of
    hacking into any ATM machine, anywhere in the world. I got to know about 
    this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month 
    ago It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich and 
    I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about 
    $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every now and then I keeping pumping money 
    into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught 
    ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it 
    also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect 
    you. For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on :
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com Tell your 
    loved once too, and start to live large. That's the simple testimony of how 
    my life changed for good. Love you all . the email address again is
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you Need Instant Loan from $2,000 to $50,000,000.00 with no collateral required and receive a no obligation loan approval.We welcome the opportunity to show you how effective we are at helping our clients obtain the money they need to succeed. Our professional staff is available for a Free Consultation.At Patiala legitimate company Pvt , contact us now 2% interest rate, both long and short term cash reply to us (Whats App) number: +919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com 
    Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  3. All thanks to Mr Anderson for helping with my profits and making my fifth withdrawal possible. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options. it is a highly lucrative business which can earn you as much as $2,570 in a week from an initial investment of just $200. I am living proof of this great business opportunity. If anyone is interested in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing notify Mr Anderson now.Whatsapp: (+447883246472 )
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LEGIT FULLZ & TOOLS STORE

    Hello to All !

    We are offering all types of tools & Fullz on discounted price.
    If you are in search of anything regarding fullz, tools, tutorials, Hack Pack, etc
    Feel Free to contact

    ***CONTACT 24/7***
    **Telegram > @leadsupplier
    **ICQ > 752822040
    **Skype > Peeterhacks
    **Wicker me > peeterhacks

    "SSN LEADS/FULLZ AVAILABLE"
    "TOOLS & TUTORIALS AVAILABLE FOR HACKING, SPAMMING,
    CARDING, CASHOUT, CLONING, SCRIPTING ETC"

    **************************************
    "Fresh Spammed SSN Fullz info included"
    >>SSN FULLZ with complete info
    >>CC With CVV (vbv & non vbv) Fullz USA
    >>FULLZ FOR SBA, PUA & TAX RETURN FILLING
    >>USA I.D Photos Front & Back
    >>High Credit Score fullz (700+ Scores)
    >>DL number, Employee Details, Bank Details Included
    >>Complete Premium Info with Relative Info

    ***************************************
    COMPLETE GUIDE FOR TUTORIALS & TOOLS

    "SPAMMING" "HACKING" "CARDING" "CASH OUT"
    "KALI LINUX" "BLOCKCHAIN BLUE PRINTS" "SCRIPTING"
    "FRAUD BIBLE"

    "TOOLS & TUTORIALS LIST"
    =>Ethical Hacking Ebooks, Tools & Tutorials
    =>Bitcoin Hacking
    =>Kali Linux
    =>Fraud Bible
    =>RAT
    =>Keylogger & Keystroke Logger
    =>Whatsapp Hacking & Hacked Version of Whatsapp
    =>Facebook & Google Hacking
    =>Bitcoin Flasher
    =>SQL Injector
    =>Premium Logs (PayPal/Amazon/Coinbase/Netflix/FedEx/Banks)
    =>Bitcoin Cracker
    =>SMTP Linux Root
    =>Shell Scripting
    =>DUMPS with pins track 1 and 2 with & without pin
    =>SMTP's, Safe Socks, Rdp's brute
    =>PHP mailer
    =>SMS Sender & Email Blaster
    =>Cpanel
    =>Server I.P's & Proxies
    =>Viruses & VPN's
    =>HQ Email Combo (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, AOL, etc.)

    *Serious buyers will always welcome
    *Price will be reduce in bulk order
    *Discount offers will give to serious buyers
    *Hope we do a great business together

    ===>Contact 24/7<===
    ==>Telegram > @leadsupplier
    ==>ICQ > 752822040
    ==>Skype > Peeterhacks
    ==>Wicker me > peeterhacks

    ReplyDelete