Co-production Week 2019

Co-production Week 2019

Friday 28 June 2019

The Chief Inspector writes...


By Kate Terroni, Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care at the Care Quality Commission

As I write this it has been six weeks since I began my new role and the time really has flown. I have had the chance to shadow inspections, meet with many external stakeholders and this week I had the pleasure of chairing my first coproduction meeting at CQC. It was great to spend time with so many people who are as passionate about coproduction as I am, and there were some very insightful comments made about how we can make the way we coproduce even more valuable.

Coproduction is something that I have always been passionate about – after all, how can anyone expect to get the best outcomes for people who use services if they don’t involve them? In my last role, as Director of Adult Social Care in Oxfordshire, I committed to embedding coproduction into all aspects of our work as we started on an ambitious journey to design, buy and evaluate the quality of all services with people who use them and their families. To ensure that we made coproduction meaningful and not tokenistic, we worked with SCIE and established a coproduction board which I co-chaired with a family carer and were joined by people with lived experience. We made really good progress with this work, but there was still lots more to do at the point I left.

True coproduction is about power sharing and working together as meaningful partners. In my role at CQC I want to involve people with lived experience as much as I can, which includes having Experts by Experience on as many inspections as possible. I plan to have a co-chair who is not from CQC at our coproduction meetings, these agendas will be coproduced from now on and I have asked that all future agenda items are co-presented with people with lived experience or family carers. I am also interested in how coproduction can help us within CQC think about how we regulate in the future.  

I am looking forward to SCIE National Co-production Week and the coproduction festival on 4 July, where I will be speaking more about coproduction and the importance of sharing power across the sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment