Co-production Week 2019

Co-production Week 2019

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Co-Production has emboldened me

By David Grimm, artist and consultant

Introduced to a new world

I have been involved in co-produced work for going on sixteen years. Ever since I was taken into care, all the way through to being a 30-year-old man.

As a child I was used to my world being done for me and I was in large part a bystander to my own life. 

This cycle was broken by a member of staff who realised that I had been isolated in care by things being done for me and that I lacked any drive-in life.

So, they suggested that I attend a local advocacy agency and get involved in a drug and alcohol awareness group, I was really nervous as I was expecting to sit down and have everything done for me and to me and I would again just be there for the sake of being.

Realisation of the impact it had

To my absolute surprise, that wasn’t how this group worked, and in fact it was frowned upon by the other young people to work in this way, as they had been empowered and had autonomy in how the group was run. What work they took on? What materials they used for educational purposes…from that moment on, I have struggled with any “youth work” that doesn’t employ a co-production approach.

I managed to attend ten years of different projects before taking time to myself and when I stopped, I felt completely hollow and only lasted twelve / thirteen months before engaging with a new group.

Another new world

This group had a completely different method of co pro than I was used to. This being that the shared power was just that, 70 – 30 in favour of the young people. It was incredible.

These young people had come up with plans of action for a funding initiative that would wholly benefit young care leavers and had taken it to the board for legal approval.

They implemented the roll out of their own plans and the advertising of everything to do with the group, from funding applications through to recruiting new group members.

I have never felt as empowered as I have when being surrounded by this wholly inclusive group of people from the same background as I am and the staff that work alongside us!

All co-production has strengths in spades but this one holds strength in the power divide, the young people are key to making it work. 

I now feel I run my own life, and no longer watch idly by.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Govt National Savings prize bond
    All you need to know About Prize bond.
    When you hear a world prize bond, you may start relating it to your luck. A prize bond can make you an overnight millionaire. There are hundreds of people who just get the instant and huge cash from these national savings prize bonds. prize bond has been the central focus for the investors and some entrepreneurs to challenge their luck. In this article, we have dived deep in providing every concerning detail about the prize bond, their functioning, type, and the history. If you want to know, you are advised to stay adhered and get to know all the interesting detail about prize bonds in Pakistan.
    Visit for more info: national saving

    ReplyDelete
  3. BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 3DAYS It all depends on how fast 
    you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of
    hacking into any ATM machine, anywhere in the world. I got to know about 
    this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month 
    ago It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich and 
    I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about 
    $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every now and then I keeping pumping money 
    into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught 
    ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it 
    also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect 
    you. For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on :
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com Tell your 
    loved once too, and start to live large. That's the simple testimony of how 
    my life changed for good. Love you all . the email address again is
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete