Co-production Week 2019

Co-production Week 2019

Friday 5 July 2019

Reflections on my first Co-Production Week

By Kate Pieroudis, Co-production Development Manager at the Social Care Institute for Excellence


It didn’t start well. I locked myself out while getting milk so disturbed 30 older people in the Community Centre across the road doing their rehabilitation exercises explaining it was an emergency- the first day of Co-Production week and could I borrow a ladder? They blinked at me, bemused.

As I was scaling the 30ft garden wall with their ladder- the lovely crystal-wearing bohemian French man who runs the Centre and my very posh neighbour (ready to call an ambulance in case I fell) both applauded as I disappeared through my bedroom window- a fine example of co-production, I wondered? 

I dusted myself off and started Tweeting about the launch of our report ‘Breaking Down The Barriers to Co-Production’ – informed entirely from people who came to our Co-Production Festival last year. Standout thoughts from the report- people we asked said the two things that would strengthen co-production the most were bringing together evidence of what works in co-production and more leadership from senior managers.


Tuesday saw the launch of the first ever Co-Production Podcast! Oxfordshire County Council and Kirklees Council told us about the barriers to co-production in large complex organisations: lots of teams, shifting priorities and shrinking pots of cash with practical solutions to how they’ve succeeded in setting up a Co-Production Board with SCIE’s support in Oxfordshire and co-producing a policy on how they pay carers in Kirklees. Professionals were interviewed by local people- a perfect example of sharing power- the theme of Co-Production week 2019.

140+ people joined our Webinar on Wednesday on how to run accessible and inclusive events including one from Canada! (co-delivered with people with leaning difficulties). We launched the co-production ‘attitudes’ survey and two fantastic members of SCIE’s Co-Production Steering Group ran a successful Twitter event that night.

For me though, the jewel in the Co-Production week crown has to be our Co-production Festival. Over 150 people attended to celebrate co-production, collaborate and innovate- our Chief Executive Tony Hunter stood on chairs, worked the room and whipped up a semi-frenzy with his rendition of ‘I’m a Believer (Co-Production YAY!)”. Headliner Lemn Sissay told me as we put together the finishing touches to his blog  “What SCIE is doing by running this Festival is beautiful- providing a space where young people will be heard” Our six seminars went swimmingly and over lunch I saw people exchanging ideas and contacts for more co-production to hopefully happen.



I woke up to a text from Lemn Sissay saying “I should say thank you. To be in a place where my ideas and story are received is incredible for me.”


And that’s the message – people sharing their stories means relationships being built that leads to more equal power sharing between professionals and people who use services and carers - the key ingredient for meaningful co-production to happen.


*names and identities of Hackney residents changed to protect the innocent

3 comments:

  1. Govt National Savings prize bond
    All you need to know About Prize bond.
    When you hear a world prize bond, you may start relating it to your luck. A prize bond can make you an overnight millionaire. There are hundreds of people who just get the instant and huge cash from these national savings prize bonds. prize bond has been the central focus for the investors and some entrepreneurs to challenge their luck. In this article, we have dived deep in providing every concerning detail about the prize bond, their functioning, type, and the history. If you want to know, you are advised to stay adhered and get to know all the interesting detail about prize bonds in Pakistan.
    Visit for more info: prize bond schedule

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top 5 Best Garden Rakes In 2020 review
    Are you overwhelmed by the many choices of garden rakes out there?? If so, do not waste your time and money looking for the best garden rakes when we can provide you with the best equipment.
    For more info visit: garden rake

    ReplyDelete
  3. BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 3DAYS It all depends on how fast 
    you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of
    hacking into any ATM machine, anywhere in the world. I got to know about 
    this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month 
    ago It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich and 
    I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about 
    $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every now and then I keeping pumping money 
    into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught 
    ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it 
    also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect 
    you. For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on :
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com Tell your 
    loved once too, and start to live large. That's the simple testimony of how 
    my life changed for good. Love you all . the email address again is
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete